-
August 9th, 2001, 01:16 AM
#1
Inactive Member
Checking to see if I'm using my light meter correctly.
Filming outdoors (ISO 25 for Kodachrome).
Light meter reads 8 F (320 K).
24 fps (57.14 1/sec)
My lightmeter says to set exposure at just about 2.2 f-stops.
Is this correct? It just seems like this would be over-exposed to me...
Thanks for the info, this is sort of urgent.
Thanks,
Scott
[This message has been edited by ulrichsd (edited August 08, 2001).]
-
August 9th, 2001, 03:58 PM
#2
HB Forum Moderator
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ulrichsd:
Checking to see if I'm using my light meter correctly.
Filming outdoors (ISO 25 for Kodachrome).
Light meter reads 8 F (320 K).
24 fps (57.14 1/sec)
My lightmeter says to set exposure at just about 2.2 f-stops.
Is this correct? It just seems like this would be over-exposed to me...
Thanks for the info, this is sort of urgent.
Thanks,
Scott
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You lost me on the light meter reads 8f....(8 footcandles?) whats 320K, we talking 3200kelvin?
It's actually 5600K for outdoors in sunlight...(sometimes even higher)
Tell us what kind of lightmeter you have.
Is it digital?
Is this a daytime reading in sunlight and not shadow?
If it is,
....than yes, you've definitely set your phaser on stun...and it will overcook your footage.
Remember to have your 85 filter on.
What does your camera's light meter say...generally, the two meters won't be that far off from each other unless you have harsh frontlight or backlight.
-Alex
-
August 10th, 2001, 03:53 AM
#3
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alex:
You lost me on the light meter reads 8f....(8 footcandles?) whats 320K, we talking 3200kelvin?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thats just what the top of my light meter has. 2 scales, 1 says F (same as my camera's meter) the other says K
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Tell us what kind of lightmeter you have.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sekonic L-398M http://www.sekonic.com/Products/L-398M.html
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Is it digital?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Is this a daytime reading in sunlight and not shadow?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I just made up this example for testing purposes and held it close to a light bulb until it reached this measurement. I dunno, I guess it would be equivalent to in a shadow or dusk/dawn.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>If it is,
...than yes, you've definitely set your phaser on stun...and it will overcook your footage.
What does your camera's light meter say...generally, the two meters won't be that far off from each other unless you have harsh frontlight or backlight. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm at work so I'll have to check my camera when I get home.
Thanks Alex,
Scott
If anyone has a light meter sitting around handy and could give me a correct exposure for this scenario, would be a big help.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks